Susanne Rottenbacher, light artist (*1969, Göttingen, Germany) studied stage design at Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, and completed a Master of Science with a focus on light at the Bartlett School of Architecture and Planning, London, UK. She worked as a stage designer at the Deutsche Oper Berlin and as a lighting designer for the office ”Licht Kunst Licht”; in this context, she conceived, among other things, the lighting design of the Federal Chancellery and the new government buildings.
She has been working as a freelance light artist since 2004. Susanne Rottenbacher creates expansive installations from sculptural elements that can best be described as light-coloured bodies. Her sculptures are characterized by great lightness and transparency and change in dialogue with the surrounding space and the times of day.
Susanne Rottenbacher has already received numerous awards and scholarships, including the Artist in Residence Scholarship , Centre of Contemporary Art, CCA, Andratx Mallorca (2016), the 1st Prize, Art at the Building C.O.R. Düsseldorf (2013), the IIDA Award of Merit, IESNA for the lighting design of the Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus, Bundestag, Berlin (2005), as well as the Josephine Paddock Scholarship from Columbia University New York (1991).
Among her exhibition presentations are:
- 2021: group show: Museum Starnberger See, Starnberg, Germany
- 2019: solo: DA Kunsthaus Kloster Gravenhorst, Germany
- 2019: „Museum of Now“, group show, presented by Berlin Art Society, Germany
- 2018: solo: Schaufensterausstellung des Hauses am Waldsee at Bikini Berlin, “The Twist 01”
- 2018: solo: „Disassembly“, Box Freiraum, Berlin
- 2017: 57th Biennale di Venezia, UNPAINTED guest of Body and Soul Performance Art (Collateral Event)
- 2017: “Signal, Lichtkunst aus der Sammlung Robert Simon”, Kunstmuseum Celle
- 2016: “The Difference between Sunrise and Sunset”, Schloss Tüssling, Bavaria
- 2016: „UNPAINTED lab 3.0.“, MMA Munich
- 2016: „deLight“, Gallery FeldbuschWiesner, Berlin
- 2015: solo:11m2 Projektraum, Berlin
- 2014: solo: Galerie Teapot, Cologne
- 2014: Art Dubai, Salsali Private Museum
- 2014: “Scheinwerfer, Lichtkunst in Deutschland im 21. Jahrhundert”, Kunstmuseum Celle 2013: The Prague Contemporary Art Festival, GASK Gallery
Portrait Photo: @SINCLAIR CLAYMORE
No products were found matching your selection.