Arent Weevers (*1958) is an artist and theologian who lives and works in Hengelo, the Netherlands. The artist is well known for his media art and exhibits regularly both in the Netherlands and abroad (including Beijing, New York, London, Basel, Munich, Karlsruhe, Buenos Aires, and Venice).
In 2010, his video installation Mary! received the Best International Video Art Short Award at the New York International Independent Film & Video Festival. At the 2015 3D Film & Music Festival in Barcelona, Arent won an award with his installation Josephine’s Well.
Arent Weevers also organises and curates the biennial festival Moving Images, Inspired Video Art in the Great Church (or Lebuinus Church) in Deventer, the Netherlands. Central to the 2017 Moving Images, Inspired Video Art festival were the different 3D techniques – stereoscopic, holographic and virtual reality, see www.moving-images.eu/kunst/2017-3d-moving-images-festival.
Motivation, subordinated theme of work
Arent Weevers’ work is all about trying to express the paradox of the human body, both its vulnerability and its strength. These two qualities embody the universal as well as the personal themes of his work. He approaches this intuitively, non-conceptually and, by necessity, physically. He is fascinated by space, movement, time, interaction, and 3D techniques that can create new sensory experiences, often with an interplay between realism and illusion.
- Stations of the Cross, Josephine’s Well, Singelchurch, Amsterdam (The Netherlands), March 6 – April 21, 2019
- BeamLab Presents!, (Amsterdam Art Weekend), Traveling of the Heart 2.0, New Dakota, Amsterdam (The Netherlands), November 6 – December 9, 2018
- 3D Moving Images Festival, Ecce Homo, Grote of LebuinusKerk (Great or LebuinusChurch), Deventer (The Netherlands), September 3 – 24, 2017
- 3D Festival BEYOND, Ecce Homo and Embrace Me, ZKM | Centre for Art and Media, Karlsruhe (Germany), September 28 – October 2, 2016.
- LOOP Barcelona 2016, solo exhibition with 3D work (Ecce Homo, Embrace Me and Josephine’s Well), GaleriaZero, Barcelona (Spain), May 27 – June 5, 2016
- UNPAINTED | LAB 3.0, Ecce Homo, Mixed Munich Arts (MMA), Munich (Germany), February 18 – 21, 2016
- Josephine’s Well, 3D Film & Music Festival Barcelona, Barcelona (Spain), December 9 – 10, 2015, AWARD: Best Mention Award.
- Mary! – Best International Video Art Short Award, NewYork International Independent Film & Video Festival; New York / USA, Summer 2010.